Thursday, April 7, 2011
Winter Adventures
Time has really flown this winter/spring. The last time I updated my blog, we were about to head for a road trip to the winter wonderland of Lapland (northernmost Finland, Norway and Sweden).

Everything was covered in deep snow - but the sun had just returned after a few months of polar night.



We also drove down to visit a giant snow castle on the Finnish side of the border. Sadly, we didn't have the time to venture inside - but it looked quite impressive from the outside! I hope one day I can go back to explore the castle. You can also sleep there, although I'm not sure that's something I want to do...  ;) Many couples also choose to get married in the snow chapel.




The small, coastal town of Kemi had some beautiful, old wooden houses as well, and it must be quite lovely in the summer.


We had a wonderful - albeit short - trip, and it was a great ending to my vacation.

As soon as I returned to Denmark, another road trip followed. We don't own a car (we just can't justify having one as long as we live in the city center and have everything within walking/biking distance - plus parking in central Copenhagen is super expensive!), so we took advantage of my boyfriend's brother's car while he was out traveling. The daisy sign = scenic road.


One fun thing about living in a monarchy (it really feels quite surreal to me that this system still exists in Western Europe today) are the numerous old castles around the country. This one was Vallø Castle located some 20 miles south of Copenhagen. It was getting late and the weather was quite miserable, so we decided to go back and explore it closer in the summer instead.



The next day, we headed north. I really like the northern part of Zealand, and when we buy a house one day, this is the area I hope to live in. I love the ocean and would prefer to live on the coast facing the Atlantic (or the Pacific, of course ;)), but since we'll probably work in Copenhagen, this is the closest you get to the "big sea". I also much prefer the idyllic, small towns of the north over the suburbs - even with a slightly longer commute. It was freezing so my pictures are limited to those from the beach this time - but I hope I can share some pictures of the beautiful, small beach towns later in the spring or summer.




Traveling is not the only reason I have been busy, however. Being on my last year of law school meant not only lots of study work, but also that I slowly had to start thinking about finding a job again. I was very lucky with my first job in Copenhagen, which I got before moving here, without speaking a word of Danish; and quit when I went back to the university three years ago. Unfortunately, many of my foreign friends have experienced that it isn't always easy finding a study-relevant job when you're not fluent in the local language and have limited working experience.

It seems like my luck in the job market has followed me, however, and I landed another great job within a week of starting to look (!). I started at my new job two weeks later, and have now been there for three weeks. At the moment I only work part-time, so I still have enough time to study for my final exams this summer and early fall - but it's quite nice to be gaining some work experience again.

After all, How could it not start well when I was greeted with this beautiful bouquet on my first day. ;)