Friday, April 8, 2011
Chocolate Surprises
Being allergic to milk, I'm one of those people who have never eaten real Nutella - in fact, I can't remember if I have even tasted it. I love nut butters and chocolate, however, and given the outrageous prices of store-bought nut butters in Denmark, I frequently have a jar of some homemade nut butter or -spread in my fridge.

Below is a recipe for a very simple "fake Nutella" made with walnuts and cocoa. My own miniature food processor is too small to handle most nuts, and I only feel comfortable processing "soft" nuts such as walnuts or pecans. If you own a real food processor, however, feel free to use hazelnuts, almonds, cashews, or any other type - and toast them if you like.

If you want a creamier and more Nutella-like consistency, try replacing the cocoa powder with melted chocolate and cutting down the sugar - or replacing it with 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup, honey or agave nectar.

Chocolate-Walnut Spread 
with a hint of coconut
  • 1 1/3 c walnuts
  • 1/2 c unrefined sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 7 tbsp coconut milk
  • pinch of salt (optional)
Process the walnuts in a food processor until fine. Add the rest of the ingredients gradually, and process until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. Add more coconut milk, spoonful at a time, if the mixture seems too dry. Transfer into a jar and store refrigerated.

***

If you can stop yourself from eating the jar of this on toast or by the spoon, here is one of my old muffin recipes as well. These are always popular, and really quick and easy to make.

Chocolate-Walnut Filled Muffins
Makes about 12 regular sized muffins

  • 1/4 c coconut milk
  • 3/4 c rice milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 4 tbsp sunflower or canola oil
  • 2 c flour (most of the time, I use 1 c all-purpose and 1 c whole grain spelt)
  • 2/3 c light brown muscovado sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp liquid vanilla
  • 1 tsp egg replacer powder or 1 flax egg
  • 1/2 c chocolate-walnut spread
Preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F).

In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients in a flour sifter, and combine with the wet ingredients.

Divide half the batter between the muffin liners. Drop a spoonful (I use about 1/2 tbsp) chocolate-walnut spread on each muffin, and cover with the remaining batter.

Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden.



As you can see, I frosted a few muffins with some leftover chocolate frosting I had - but these are so sweet that actually I just prefer them plain, without any kind of frosting or glaze, and with a big glass of rice- or soy milk.

We have got quite a storm in Copenhagen, but the sun is peeking out. Of course, this could be expected after the rainy week, as tomorrow is my birthday! As the old Danish saying goes: the sun shines if the birthday person has been good that year. I have been telling my boyfiend this whole [rainy] week that come Saturday, we will have the most gorgeous weather. ha! ;)


Hope you will have a lovely weekend! 
 
posted by Seglare at Friday, April 08, 2011 | Permalink |


6 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home