Friday, January 28, 2011
Vegan Carrot Cake
While our snowy weather continues, the freezing temperatures are gone for now and we are enjoying the most gorgeous winter days - the kind of weather that makes you want to go play outside all day long. The sun has been out the last few days, and it looks like there are millions of tiny diamonds scattered on the snow. At night, the clear sky means a breathtaking starry sky, which I always miss in the city.

The days are also getting longer by the day: a few weeks ago, we only had a few short hours of daylight, and today I woke up at 7 AM amazed at how bright it was outside. We're clearly heading to spring. :)

I am visiting my parents yet again and trying to enjoy all the snow until I return to Copenhagen in two weeks or so. Despite the huge workload, I really love the freedom of the final university year, and being able to spend so much time visiting my family overseas. I also feel that I'm most effective when I study on my own (vs. sitting in class), so this fits me quite well. :)


After playing in the snow, there's nothing I love more than a cup of dark, hot chocolate - and a piece of cake. I have been meaning to share this carrot cake recipe since Christmas time, but I keep forgetting - so here it is. This is a moist, sweet cake that is super easy to make. It also freezes well, so I usually cut it into pieces and freeze them individually, so I can take one out of the freezer whenever I feel like having something sweet. My recipe is probably quite similar to numerous other carrot cake recipes out there, but this is an easy cake for those looking for a basic vegan version.


Vegan Carrot Pineapple Cake
  • 1 c non-dairy milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp warm water
  • 3/4 c muscovado sugar or brown sugar
  • 2 c flour - I use half whole wheat/spelt, half all-purpose
  • 2 tbsp tapioca flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 c grated carrots
  • 1 small can/about one cup crushed pineapple, drained  (save the juice for later)
  • 1/2 c chopped almonds or other nuts (optional)
  • 1/2 c raisins (optional)
Icing:
  • 1 1/2 c confectioner's sugar
  • 2 tbsp pineapple juice
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
To make the cake:

Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F). Grease a (about) 12-inch square pan.


In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and vinegar. Set aside for a few minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Add the oil, banana, vanilla and flax+water into the wet ingredients, and mix well. Now shift in the dry mixture, then add the carrot, pineapple, nuts and raisins, mixing until just well combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake in the lower part of the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.

To make the icing:

In a medium bowl, mix together the confectioner's sugar and enough juice to form a smooth, spreadable paste. Pour the frosting over the cake and, using a rubber spatula, spread it evenly. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if desired.

You could also use your favorite (vegan) cream cheese frosting, which is always good. Vegan cream cheese is just incredibly hard to find in Denmark, so unless I have stocked up in Sweden, I mostly use the basic icing instead.

Have a great weekend! :)
 
posted by Seglare at Friday, January 28, 2011 | Permalink |


8 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home