Sunday, December 19, 2010
Missed Plans
Although it so might seem, the earth has not swallowed me. The past weeks have simply been so busy I have not managed to squeeze in a single blog post.

I told you about my uncle, who was hospitalized early last month. The infection was thought to be nothing serious and seemed to be responding well to antibiotics. However, it turned out that he had developed pneumonia, and his condition got worse quite suddenly. He passed away in his sleep on December 14. We all miss him terribly and wish we didn't need to let him go yet; but at the same time, I know he lived a long, interesting and happy life, and I'm grateful for all the beautiful, funny and happy memories we have together. Since my dad's parents died years before I was born, I never had the chance to meet my grandparents from that side of the family - and so my uncle (dad's older brother) and his wife have always been like grandparents to me and my sister. They didn't have any children of their own, so we were obviously very spoiled... ;)

On a happier note, I have been busy with my final exams of the semester, and am so glad they are finally over. Now I should have one semester left in law school, and I'm done. I'll probably continue in school at some point in my life, but I'll be ever so glad to be done studying law.

My last exam was on Thursday, so I haven't even had much time to spend preparing for Christmas - one of my favorite things in the whole year. I have mostly sat inside with my nose buried in thick books, admiring the stunningly beautiful scenery behind the window. It has been freezing cold in Scandinavia, however, so it's not like I've been dying to go outside, even if I wasn't busy...


This is apparently the coldest winter in Denmark in 30 years, and I believe something like that in rest of Scandinavia as well. In addition to the freezing temperatures, we have tons and tons of snow, and it seems like almost all parts of Scandinavia are going to enjoy a white Christmas this year. I know those who need to drive long distances may not be as delighted with the ongoing snowfall as the rest of us, but the snow certainly makes everything prettier.



After traveling around for a few days, I'm finally back at my parents for Christmas. It's always so nice to come home! With all that has been going on, I have yet to do most of my Christmas shopping, and have somehow escaped all Christmas baking and preparing as well. My mom, however, had made some saffron buns and gingerbread cookies - including a gingerbread house! I didn't manage to take a picture of that one yet, but I'll make sure to post it later (I just need some daylight ;)). As soon as I stepped in, I was met by a lovely scent of gingerbread that lingers in every room of the house - how I wish my home always smelled like this..!


I may have eaten a few cookies as well...


Now that I have some time in my hands, I should be able to post more regularly again. I'm sorry for not replying any emails or comments in the past two or three weeks, either; but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I also look forward to catching up on some blog reading over the holidays.

I hope all your Christmas preparations are going well, and hopefully you're ahead of me what comes to Christmas shopping..! We are buying charity gifts (like this) to most people again this year, but I'll still have enough shopping to do for my closest family and friends. I can see a few hours spent in a bookstore in the coming days - my favorite place to buy (and receive ;)) gifts to all those who like to read. I don't have such a large family myself, so I never get stressed out with Christmas shopping though - I enjoy every minute of it. My boyfriend hates shopping of any kind and would prefer to gift everyone with charity donkeys or Danish chocolate (which are both lovely gifts, just not for five years in a row), but I don't mind finding things for his family as well - to be honest, I'm quite happy to have a few more people to choose something for. ;)

Happy 4th Advent!