Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Wind and Snow
Good morning! Most of Scandinavia is experiencing yet another snow storm. At the moment, there is only a little snow coming down here - but the wind is fierce. Oh, am I ever so glad that I can stay indoors and study in front of the fireplace today! I love to be outside when it's snowing, but nothing keeps me warm when it's really windy (the constant wind is one of the downsides of the Danish weather for sure).

Here's a video taken by a Danish newspaper last night, where you can see the snow and get a short sightseeing tour around the streets of Copenhagen. :) I can see I'm not missing anything by being away, ha! If an add pops up before the video starts, click where it says "luk annoncen".

***

I have recipes for cranberry-white chocolate cookies, savory lentil loaf and garlic potatoes in my pocket, but I will save them for later today or tomorrow, and share a few random meals from the past two days instead.

First, one of my favorite meals of all time - roasted vegetables. For an easy dinner, I like to mix up whatever root vegetables we have, and add some broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, zucchini, button mushrooms, garlic scapes, or other veggies. Since I was sharing the meal with others, I had to compromise this time and allow onions and beets in there as well (I can't stand roasted onions; and although I do eat beets, I feel that their taste is so strong it takes away from the other veggies, which is why I usually don't add them).  In addition to above mentioned onions and beets, this mix included sweet potato, brussels sprouts, rutabaga, carrots, garlic, and some yellow potatoes. These were just sprinkled with some olive oil and gomashio, then roasted until lightly browned (the picture is taken before they were done). You can't see it on the picture below, but the yellow potatoes are sliced on top like Hasselback Potatoes (another Swedish dish - see a better picture of them here), which makes them extra crispy as they bake. 


This was part of dinner the day before yesterday. We also had some sukuma wiki with black beans as another side dish, but I forgot to take a picture of that one. Yesterday, I combined the leftovers of both dishes, and added some mushrooms and more spices. These made a perfect filling for a chickpea omelette, another favorite for a quick dinner.


For one omelette, I mix half a cup of chickpea flour (gram flour) with half a cup of water, add some spices (for example: chili, berberē, cayenne pepper or curry powder for heat, some paprika or turmeric and freshly ground pepper, salt, and herbs) and possibly chopped vegetables or mushrooms as well. Cook on both sides until golden brown, and fill with spinach, mushrooms, or other vegetables.

Much to the shock of my boyfriend, I have also made an omelette or two using Ethiopian shiro powder (with spices already added), but I do recommend using good, old chickpea flour and saving shiro powder for Shiro Wat. ;)




Apologies for the terrible pictures above... I'm still working on taking proper pictures in the artificial lighting in the evenings.

For the last, this chocolatey dream was my supper last night and breakfast this morning - crumbled on top of some incredibly delicious berry soup (which included cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries) and a splash of vanilla soy milk. Sadly, I don't have a picture of the soup, but here's the topping...


Yesterday, I realized I had about three pounds of overripe bananas. Usually I'd just freeze them, but our (three) freezers are still filled to the brim with berries, pumpkin, mushrooms and other goods, so there was no space for any bananas. Naturally, this gave me a good excuse to make some banana bread. ;) I used a recipe for chocolate chip banana bread, replacing the eggs with an extra banana and using chopped dark chocolate instead of chocolate chips. I have used this recipe several times - when I just need delicious, simple banana bread - and it always turns out well. Most of the time, I make my banana bread healthier by using whole grain flour or something else; but every now and then, this is all I want. :)


Today, I'm on my own for dinner, so I have a feeling it's going to be a good, old sandwich or a bowl of cereal or noodles, accompanied by a couple episodes of Grey's Anatomy that I have missed... :)
 
posted by Seglare at Wednesday, November 24, 2010 | Permalink |


6 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home