Monday, November 22, 2010
Waffles for Breakfast
Most mornings, my breakfast consists of a pot of white or green tea followed an hour or two later by a bowl of cereal with berries or fruit or yoghurt with mysli. Every so often, however, I wake up craving something more special - most notably, pancakes or waffles. Yesterday was one of those days.

I'm all about sweet things for breakfast. Occasionally, I may enjoy a cup of Earl Grey or other black tea with soy milk and eat a roll or rye bread with cucumber, tomato and bell pepper on the side as my breakfast; but unlike my boyfriend, I could never stomach tofu scramble or curry in the morning. Therefore, my breakfast pancakes or waffles are always sweet as well. Below is one of the waffles I made yesterday with some leftover apple sauce. The waffles turned out so tasty that I thought it would be fair to share the recipe with you, too. :)


Vegan Apple Waffles

  • 1/2 c sifted spelt flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 1/2 c whole grain spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp unrefined sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1/2 c vanilla soy yoghurt
  • about 3/4 c non-dairy milk
  • 1 medium apple, coarsely grated
  • 1/4 c chopped almonds (optional)
In a large bowl, combine the apple sauce, yoghurt and milk. Sift in the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined. Fold in the grated apple and chopped almonds.

Spoon into a lightly oiled waffle iron, and cook on medium heat until golden brown (the exact time will depend on your waffle iron).

Top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy! :)

I topped mine with apple slices, raisins, chopped almonds and a pinch of cinnamon and confectioner's sugar. After taking the picture, I also went back to pour some vanilla soy yoghurt on top (the yoghurt I use tastes just like vanilla custard). These were so filling I was only able to eat one - but they tasted so good I will definitely make them again!



Hope your week has started out well! :)
 
posted by Seglare at Monday, November 22, 2010 | Permalink |


9 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home