Tuesday, November 16, 2010
C as in Chile
Today, I have reached C in my E.A.T. World challenge. I wish I had the time to do this challenge at a little faster pace, but I try to think that this way, I can enjoy the fun for longer. This week you'll get two new countries, though! Any guesses which country I [was obliged to] choose for D? ;)


Naturally, when I saw the opportunity to cook another dish that involves pumpkin, I jumped at it. We still have quite a few different types of pumpkin/squash in our basement, plus a freezer full of pumpkin puree, so I'm always happy when I find a new way to use it up. I'm sure many of the other C countries would have had some pumpkin recipes to choose from as well, but since this cuisine is new to me and I already knew a recipe for it, I settled on Chile.

I have had this recipe bookmarked for a long time, but have never got around to making it before. Today, I realized it was actually really simple and perfect for dinner. The original recipe I used can be found here, and there are many similar recipes on the internet. As you can see below, I followed it almost exactly. I did add some vegetable bouillon for taste (instead of salt), and used canned red kidney beans because I was out of white beans (and didn't have the time to soak/cook them myself). Hokkaido also cooks quite fast, so I didn't need to mash any of it - it got mushy enough by itself. I would have used whole wheat spaghetti, but I was out of it - which is actually quite funny, because I normally never buy white spaghetti. I was very lucky to find this in the very back of my pantry and thus avoid a trip to the grocery store. :)


Chilean Bean and Pumpkin Soup
  • 2 c cooked or canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 small to medium Hokkaido squash, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube or 2 tsp powder (or vegetable broth)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minted
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
  • 1 tsp sweet paprika
  • 100 g/1/4 lbs spaghetti, broken in half
  • salt or soy sauce, to taste
In a large pot, cover the Hokkaido pieces and vegetable buillon cube with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until tender.

While the squash is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet, and add the onion, garlic, carrot, oregano and paprika. Saute on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, until soft.

Once the squash is tender (not too soft), add the spaghetti, and continue cooking for about 10 minutes more, until the squash and spaghetti are both done, and some of the squash is getting a little mushy. Add the onion mixture and beans, and cook for a minute or so, until heated through. Add some more salt, if necessary.

This was the last of our Hokkaido harvest - but luckily we still have some other types of squash left. 

On the side, I made Vegan Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits, which I have also mentioned on the blog before. They never fail and always impress dinner guests. :) You can find the recipe here.


This was a wonderful, flavorful and warming meal - just perfect for a chilly, gray day.

Check out Mandee's blog for another version of this challenge (which is quite a few countires ahead of me). :)

Have a nice evening, everyone!
 
posted by Seglare at Tuesday, November 16, 2010 | Permalink |


4 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home