Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Vegan Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
This is another super quick 'bread' for those with a big sweet tooth. Clearly I'll have to find a way to keep myself away from the loaf pans..! :)

This recipe produces a perfectly moist, soft, and very sweet banana bread. It is so sweet I usually only use 2/3 c sugar; but you can add up to 1 c, according to your own taste.

Serve with a little vegan margarine on top - or, as I prefer it myself, plain, with some non-dairy milk or a big cup of tea.


Vegan Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
  • 4 very ripe bananas
  • 1/3 c vanilla flavored soy yoghurt*
  • 1/3 c melted vegan margarine or canola oil
  • 2/3 c to 3/4 c light muscovado sugar (or turbinado sugar)
  • 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 c whole wheat (or spelt) flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt (if using oil)
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)
for the cinnamon swirl:
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 c light muscovado sugar (or turbinado sugar)
Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F). Grease and flour a loaf pan.

In a large bowl, mash the bananas well - I use a potato masher. Mix in the soy yoghurt, margarine, and sugar. In a separate bowl or a sifter, combine the dry ingredients (except nuts), and gradually add to the wet mixture. Mix until combined, then fold in the nuts.

Pour half of the batter into a prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with about 2/3 of the cinnamon mixture. Now pour the rest of the batter on top, and top with the remaining cinnamon mixture.

Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until the bread starts pulling away from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

*If you don't like using soy yoghurt, you can replace it with half a banana, more oil, or silken tofu, and add some vanilla exctract into the batter instead.



Early tomorrow morning, I'm heading for a short trip to Northernmost Scandinavia - Lapland - for a couple of days. Let's hope I get to meet Santa Claus, too: I have heard rumors he resides there... ;) I'm not sure if I will be able to blog while I am away, but I should be back online on Sunday at the latest.

In the meanwhile, I wish you all a nice end of the week! :)
 
posted by Seglare at Tuesday, October 12, 2010 | Permalink |


3 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home