Friday, October 1, 2010
Tea and Cookies
This morning, I broke into another box of holiday tea.


I don't drink much black tea, but sometimes I like to start my morning with a big cup of it. I prefer most teas plain, with many black teas - like this Christmas blend - I enjoy a little vanilla soy milk. I believe this also reduces the staining of the tea on your teeth (and your tea cups!) - or maybe it's just a good excuse to add more of it. ;)


While I was sipping my tea, I started thinking how nice it would be to have a gingerbread cookie to dip into it. I almost decided to bake some gingerbread, but then remembered that the dough requires refrigeration for several hours, preferably overnight - and told myself I was one month early, anyway. If I make them now, maybe the dough won't even taste special when the holiday season really starts (perhaps I should confess here that I much prefer the gingerbrad dough over the baked cookies)? Instead, I decided to make something that distantly resembles gingerbread.


I'm slightly obsessed with certain traditional Belgian cookies, the old cousin of Biscoff, called speculoos. There is a Danish company that makes an 'almost-vegan' version of these treats (they do contain honey, but no eggs or dairy), and actually their ingredient list is not all too bad (for a cookie, that is). However, I didn't want to walk to the store, so I decided to try and make some myself. These turned out very well, though they're a little softer than the original ones.

Vegan Cinnamon Cookies
24 cookies
  • 1/2 cup heart-friendly* vegan margarine
  • 1/2 c dark muscovado sugar**
  • 1/2 c unrefined 'white' sugar
  • 1-1/4 c white spelt flour or all purpose flour
  • 3/4 c whole grain spelt flour
  • 1 egg replacer (you can use flax egg or soy flour, too)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 c agave nectar
In a large bowl, beat the margarine and sugars together. Add the water from the egg replacer, and beat until fluffy. In a sifter or a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (including the egg replacer powder), and add into the margarine mixture. Mix in the agave nectar, and blend carefully, until smooth.

With your hands, roll the dough into balls with a diameter of about one inch each, place on a baking sheet, and press gently with a flat-bottom glass.

Bake in 175-200 C (350-400 F) for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. This time/temperature is an estimate because my oven is really tiny and therefore not the most effective - I baked mine in 400 F for about 12 minutes. For a bigger oven, I would probably use the lower temperature and a baking time of about 10 minutes.  


Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


*With heart-friendly margarine, I simply mean that there are huge differences between different vegan margarines, both when it comes to ingredients and saturated fat. Many vegan margarines are also heavy on palm oil, which is a big player in an environmental - and sometimes humanitarian - disaster in many areas of the world (more on that some other day, but you can just google the effects on rainforest and animals). The vegan margarine I use is made of canola oil and sunflower oil, and so far, it has worked nicely in every recipe I have used it in.

**You can replace dark muscovado sugar with regular (packed) brown sugar; but if you do this, I would recommend adding a little blackstap molasses for taste. Muscovado has quite a distinctive taste of molasses, and gives more flavor to the cookies than regular brown sugar alone.


I might have just traded my breakfast for cookies today...

I hope you all have a great weekend! :)
 
posted by Seglare at Friday, October 01, 2010 | Permalink |


6 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home