Monday, October 11, 2010
Home Sweet Home
Ever since I lost my beloved, old dog (the Labrador in my profile picture) a few months ago, coming home has felt very strange. For so many years, he was faithfully waiting for us to come home from school, magically at the right hour, every day; then home from college, and from our travels abroad. Even if you were only away for an hour, he would greet you like a long lost friend, always as happy and excited to see you. Without him, home has felt empty, and it feels like such a big part of our family is away. I miss him tremendously!


When I arrived at my parents' this time, however, I was greeted by this guy. The biggest.dog.ever. He was enormous! I wish I had taken a picture of him standing next to me, so you could really see his size. He is skinny, but so tall (not to mention long) that he nearly comes up to my Dad's waist - and for comparison, my Dad is about 190 cm/6'2" tall. This dog is truly a sheep in a wolf's clothing: while he may be huge and not the most beautiful dog on the outside, he is amazingly kind, gentle and affectionate on the inside. He is my Mom's friend's dog, a Scottish Deerhound, and my parents had been dogsitting him for a few days. He immediately greeted me like he knew me, and I have had a lot of fun playing with him. ;) He is very calm indoors - mostly, he prefers to lie down in front of the fireplace or, if you're not looking, on the couch - but once he is let off the leash out in the field, he runs like a lightning. Apparently, these dogs might lose a race to a Greyhound on a smooth surface (they are much bigger and heavier, and therefore slower to start), but will easily outrun a Greyhound on a rough, uneven terrain. I have never in my life seen a dog run so fast! He will run directly towards you, and for a second you think he is going to bump right into you; but at the very last moment, he makes a loop around you, all while running at full speed. He is certainly very different than a Labrador, which is the breed I am most familiar with; but both these breeds do have one very important thing in common: a lovely, gentle nature. It was nice to get to know him, and I look forward to hopefully dogsitting him again soon. ;)


As for food - after living on cereal for a while, it has been so nice to be home and enjoy my parents' wonderful cooking again. I'm also happy to be back in our big, convenient kitchen, with access to proper baking equipment. After stuffing myself with some delicious chanterelle tart and freshly baked, fluffy rolls, I pulled out the loaf- and cake pans (one thing I really must buy in Denmark - asap), and made some quick cranberry orange bread - though this time, I used fresh, wild lingonberries instead of cranberries.


Cranberry Orange Bread
Adapted from Floydm at The Fresh Loaf
  • 2 c all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 2 c whole wheat (spelt) flour
  • 1 c unrefined white sugar
  • 1 c muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 2/3 c orange juice
  • 4 tbsp canola oil or vegan margarine, softened
  • 2 tbsp grated orange peel (use organic oranges)
  • 3 c fresh cranberries or lingonberries
  • 1/2 to 1 c chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds (optional)
Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F). Grease and flour two loaf pans.

Mash the banana and combine with the rest of the wet ingredients. In a sifter, combine the dry ingredients, and gradually sift them into the wet mixture. Gently fold in the cranberries and nuts, and pour into greased loaf pans.

Bake in the lower-middle part of the oven for 50-60 minutes, until the bread starts pulling away from the sides, and until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


This is a delicious, easy bread that always gets good reviews from guests. Another great thing is that it only tastes better the next day - unless, of course, you can't resist eating all of it fresh and warm from the oven... ;-)

***

I will be traveling again in two days, but I hope I can finally catch up on all your news early next week. :) Good night everyone! 
 
posted by Seglare at Monday, October 11, 2010 | Permalink |


2 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home