Monday, October 4, 2010
Another Sunday, Another Forest
Being alone at home, not much has been happening on the cooking front. My diet has been consisting of leftovers, cereal, fruit, and Danish rye bread with different toppings. Instead of cooking, I have spent every free moment outdoors enjoying the lovely, sunny and relatively warm fall weather.

Yesterday, I had planned a long bike trip outside of Copenhagen. The local trains are free the first Sunday of each month, so I thought I'd bring my bike along in the train and then bike back to the city from one of the more distant stations. My plans changed when I ventured downstairs and found my tire flat. Sure, I had noticed that the back tire was losing pressure a little too fast the day before; but instead of taking my bike to the workshop right away, I just went and filled the tire up, hoping the valve had simply come loose - and true enough, the air seemed to stay in. I biked another 10 miles or so, running various errands that day, and there were no further problems. It turned out, of course, that the air had slowly seeped out during the night - and, as luck would have it, it was the night to Sunday, when all the bike workshops are closed (I should perhaps take back my handyman talk - I really don't know how to fix a tire myself!). We certainly don't lack bikes in this household: we have five of them (our regular bikes, my old bike, and two reserve bikes mostly used by visiting friends and family). As it often happens that all bad luck piles up, however, we had just put all the other bikes safely in the storage to avoid them being damaged amidst the renovation going on in the building next door - and the key to the storage, what else, was forgotten in my boyfriend's pocket thousands of miles away! The end of my biking adventure, and a good reminder to always have a reserve key on hand.

The weather was gorgeous as ever, however, so I jumped in the train without my bike. I got off at a station a little north of Copenhagen, and browsed through the last flea market of the year - without buying anything, but looking through piles of old books and other interesting things. I then walked into the nearby woods for a little adventure. The bigger, real woods are located a little farther out of the city, but I'm not too familiar with those areas - and since I had planned on biking a route I knew, I hadn't brought a map with me - so I settled on the tiny little one instead. This little forest is particularly beautiful in the spring, when it is covered in white anemones, and when all the trees are light green. The picture below was taken in early May about seven years ago, when we had been dating for just a few months, and my boyfriend showed me this little gem of a forest for the first time. I also remember it was the first day of the spring when it was warm enough to be outside with short sleeves. :)


In the summer, one of my favorite things to do is to pack a blanket and a good book on my bike, and spend the day in the woods, listening to the birds and reading for hours.

The forest is also unblievably beautiful in the fall - late October or so - when the fall foliage is at its peak. These woods consist of mostly deciduous trees, so the ground is covered in several inches of colorful leaves. As the different trees drop their leaves at slightly different times, you see a bright array of colors when you look up as well - all shades of yellow, red, and orange. Unfortunately, I will be traveling during the peak season this year, and most of the foliage is probably over by the time I get back in early November. We haven't really had night frost in Denmark yet, so only some trees had changed colors this weekend, and the forest was still mostly green. It was beautiful as always, however, and I enjoyed listening to the birds, admiring the old trees, and wandering around in my own thoughts.


Welcome to the haunted forest... doesn't this look like an entrance to a Grimm's fairytale?








I have always been fascinated by old trees. I can't help but think of the stories they would tell if they could speak. Many of the trees even in Denmark are hundreds, a few over a thousand years old, and have witnessed so many human generations pass by. This is also why I find it so deeply saddening when they are cut to make way for a new building, just because it is easier than carefully working around them (luckily many of the oldest trees are now protected).


After roaming the forest for an hour or so, I debated walking the 10 k to the city. I decided not to - it's a nice bike ride, but a bit of a boring walk. Instead, I jumped back in the (free) train, went home and buried myself in a good book. The little guilt of my extremely light exercise disappeared when it started to rain just when I got home - and oh, was I ever so glad I decided not to walk, without an umbrealla and everything.

Today, the sun is back, and new adventures are waiting (first adventure being the bike workshop ;)).

Hope you have a beautiful week! :)
 
posted by Seglare at Monday, October 04, 2010 | Permalink |


4 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home