Saturday, September 4, 2010
Weekend Porridge
I am not the greatest fan of regular oatmeal - although I do eat my fair share of it - but I love porridges that are made of stone ground or whole grains and simmered slowly on the stove top, or cooked in the oven. During the week, I rarely have the time to make them; but I often make some on weekend mornings. This morning, I decided to use up the last of my buckwheat, so I could wash the jar and fill it with fresh grains again. Buckwheat is one of my favorite grains: it is tasty and nutritious, and rich in niacin, fiber, magnesium and manganese. I hear it is commonly used in Russia and Eastern Europe, but is not so widely known here.



Buckwheat, Flax, and Fruit Porridge
(3-4 portions)
  • 1 c stone ground buckwheat
  • 3 c water
  • 6-8 pieces of chopped, dried fruit (such as apricots, figs, apples or prunes)
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or a cinnamon stick; you can also add vanilla)
  • 2-4 tbsp ground flax
  • 1/2  to 1 tsp salt
The night before, mix the buckwheat, water, chopped fruit, raisins, and cinnamon. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, bring the mixture to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes (if you're short on time, you can remove it from the stove earlier and simply let it stand for a little extra). Add more water or milk if necessary, if the porridge gets too dry. Mix in the flax, taste with salt, and serve topped with a teaspoon of heart-friendly margarine, fresh fruit, more dried fruit, homemade jam, nut butter, soy milk, or your own favorite topping.


My boyfriend likes to cover everything with yoghurt. ;) I topped mine with homemade rowanberry jam and vanilla soy milk, and we both sprinkled a spoonful of raspberry-vanilla granola on top.

If you have some extra time, I recommend using whole buckwheat and making buckwheat porridge in the oven, using non-dairy milk as (at least part of) the liquid. You can also use other grains, such as barley, oats, wheat or spelt. This will take a couple of hours, but is definitely worth it!

After breakfast, it was time to venture outside to enjoy the sunny day. We have been having really cold weather and the forecast for next week doesn't look all too promising, so all Copenhagen seemed to be outside. I biked to a park with a book...










Some ducks came to say hello - only to be bitterly disappointed, as they discovered I had no bread with me. :(


Many people were out taking wedding pictures...


...and some poor soul had lost her pacifier.



After some reading, I got quite cold despite the sun, and biked home to get a sweater and get ready to meet my Japanese friend - who is, sadly, returning home tomorrow. :(
 
posted by Seglare at Saturday, September 04, 2010 | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home