Monday, September 6, 2010
Hokkaido Curry Soup
The Hokkaido squash made another appearance today. I was freezing when I got home, and soup sounded like the perfect dinner...


In addition to the Hokkaido, I just added some veggies I had in the crisper - some of which were getting old.


Hokkaido Curry Soup
  • 1 small or 1/2 big Hokkaido squash
  • 2 carrots, sliced (the ones pictured were mini carrots, so I used 4)
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped (again, mine were tiny)
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 leek
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 2-3 tbsp yellow curry paste
  • 2 tsp vegetable buillon powder (optional; you could also replace the water with vegetable buillon, and adjust the salt accordingly)
  • pinch curry powder
  • 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk (or a smaller amount of whole fat coconut milk, like I used, but with more water)
  • 2 c water
  • 1/4 c apple juice
  • 1 tsp unrefined sugar
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • handful of fresh herbs (I used basil, parsley and bear's garlic)
  • (I would also add a small piece of fresh ginger, but I was still out of it)
Chop all the vegetables, so they are ready. Heat half of the coconut milk in a large pot, and add the curry paste and curry powder. Bring to a boil, and let bubble for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the coconut milk along with all the vegetables, water, apple juice and vegetable buillon powder. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Let cook gently under a lid for about 30 minutes, until all vegetables are tender. Puree with immersion blender (or leave some bigger chunks, if you like). Add the lemon juice, sugar and spices, and taste with salt and pepper. Fold in the fresh herbs just before serving, and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.



We enjoyed the soup with some perfectly flaky Vegan Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits (with a few, minor modifications).


Once again, it is was so late by the time we finished dinner that I'm going straight to bed. This has been becoming a very bad habit lately, but I hope my schedule will be better in a week or two. :)