Thursday, September 30, 2010
Fall Comfort Food
In my previous post, I mentioned this tasty curry dish I made last night. It was a combination of vegetables I had on hand and that I was hoping to use up before traveling. As I didn't have heating in the apartment when I first started thinking about dinner,  I also wanted something spicy to warm me up. This turned out even better than I expected - it was the perfect, flavorful comfortfood. Like most of my recipes, this is very easy and fast to make (by fast I mean the short time spent in the kitchen; you can do other things while the food simmers... like read a good book ;)).

Sorry about the bad/unnatural light in my dinner photos. I'll have to find some better lighting solution to this. ;)

Winter Squash, Potato and Chickpea Curry
(Feeds a hungry family of four)
  • 1/2 large or 1 small winter squash, seeded and cubed (I used hokkaido/kabocha, as it is the easiest to find here; however, you can use acorn squash, butternut, or any other type you like)
  • 4 potatoes, cubed
  • 1 large apple, cored and diced
  • 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 gloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small can coconut milk (175 ml/5.6 oz)
  • 2 tbsp yellow Thai curry paste*
  • about 3 c water
  • 1 15 oz can or 1-1/2 c cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 c pumpkin seeds
Heat a wok pan or a large skillet over medium heat. Add the curry paste, ginger, garlic, and half of the coconut milk. Cook for a couple of minutes. Mix in the rest of the coconut milk, squash, potatoes, apple and chili, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook until the squash and potatoes are tender, checking every now and then, and adding more water if necessary. In the end of the cooking process, there shouldn't be much liquid left. Don't panic if this sticks to the pan a little: as long as it doesn't burn, this will only add flavor and a wonderful "crust" to the veggies. A few minutes before the vegetables are done, mix in the chickpeas, and cook until they are throughly heated. Turn off the heat, and fold in the pumpkin seeds. Serve hot.

*There are thousands of variations of yellow curry paste - and you can even make your own. If you prefer a mild version of this dish, use less curry paste than given above, or omit the chili pepper. The brand I use has some coconut milk and enough salt and other spices in it; but if yours doesn't, you probably want to add some salt or soy sauce in the end. You can also add a tablespoon of sugar, agave, or apple juice, and squeeze in some lemon/lime juice if you wish.


As you have probably noticed by now, yellow curry paste is one of my favorite go-to spices. I use a fair amount of green and red curry pastes as well, but as many of those are not vegan and I don't always have the ingredients (or time) on hand to make them from scratch, yellow curry paste is often a practical choice. I also like the mild flavor and creamy consistency of it. The jar above is the brand I use most of the time - it can be found in some ethnic groceries around Copenhagen.

Being by myself, I'm probably going to be eating this food for the next couple of days, and might try freezing down a portion as well. Previously, I have frozen coconut-based curry sauce without problems, so I wonder if this shouldn't be okay, too?

Have a good night! :-)
 
posted by Seglare at Thursday, September 30, 2010 | Permalink |


2 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home