Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Birthday Wishes
Thank you for all your well wishes yesterday - I think I have defeated the worst of the cold. I'm left with a cough and hardly any voice at all; but this is the stage of the cold when you can still lie on the couch with good conscience, and actually enjoy it. ;)

 
During the last couple of days, several people - including my little nephew and my boyfriend - have had birthdays. Being ill, I didn't want to infect anyone and stayed at home, but it still gave me a good excuse to bake something. My boyfriend's birthday is today, but he is working a 12-hour-shift - which is why we ate cake last week, and why I didn't want to bake another cake today. Ever since finding that bag of shredded coconut in my cupboard last week, I have been determined to use it up. I originally bought it for some vegan 7 layer magic bars (yum, yum!), but only made a dent in it. I used some more of it in the coconut banana bread/muffins, yet I still had over half a bag left. I wanted to get rid of it once and for all, and since I also had the last of an opened can of coconut milk in my fridge, I googled some vegan coconut recipes...



This recipe called for 3 cups of shredded coconut, 3/4 c coconut milk, and very few other ingredients, so I was sold. These were extremely easy to make - it only took a few minutes to get them ready for the oven. I made half of them white, vanilla-almond macaroons, and mixed 1,5 tbsp cocoa powder into the rest of the mixture. I pressed the mixture into heart-shaped cookie cutters, and since this doesn't spread in the oven, the cookies remained in perfect shape.


These turned out beautiful, but very dry. They tasted too much like shredded coconut to me - and since I'm not a big fan of shredded coconut, these were not my favorite cookies. However, that could be expected; and if you like shredded coconut, you will probably love them! I added a little extra milk (rice milk, as I ran out of coconut milk) to the cocoa mixture, and actually liked those a lot better. The chocolate ones were not as dry and crumbly, and the shredded coconut was less overpowering. If I was going to make these again, I would probably play around with the recipe a bit, and try and get a slightly different texture. With the easiness of the recipe, it might be worth a try. :)


For dinner yesterday, I turned the leftover black rice into burger patties. I made the basic Lazy Girl's Bean Burgers, but left out the bread crumbs (I had about 1 to 1,5 c cooked rice) - and, to fight my cold, added some extra chili, garlic, thyme and turmeric.


We served them on some whole wheat-oat buns, toasted in the oven for a couple of minutes. I topped mine with cucumber, jalapeno, fresh basil, tomato, and guacamole. On the side, we had some zucchini (rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with gomashio, and roasted in the oven at 225 C/425 F for about 25 minutes). Can you tell I'm a little obsessed with gomashio? ;) To my defense, I have to say that I use the brand with the lowest sodium content.


The burgers tasted great, but I didn't have much of an appetite, so I didn't end up finishing it all. The good thing is that now I still have a couple of burger patties left for an easy leftover dinner tonight. ;)

I'm off to enjoy a cup of thyme-honey tea. Both honey and thyme are natural cough remedies, and my parents used to make this drink to us when we were small. What has been known in folk medicine for generations, now seems to be confirmed in clinical studies as well: research suggests that in treating nightly cough in children, honey is better than no treatment at all, and just as effective as the common, over-the-counter cough suppressants (source).

Have a great evening! :)
 
posted by Seglare at Wednesday, September 15, 2010 | Permalink |


0 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home