Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
I woke up this morning with a huge craving for chocolate chip cookies. It had been a long time since I last had them, and as I had just found some pure maple syrup on discount the other day, I decided it was about time to bake them again.

For some reason, chocolate chips are only sold during Christmas and Easter here (or at least I haven't found them any other time of year), so I had to start by chopping some chocolate. I just place the dark chocolate in a freezer bag on top of a cutting board, and hit it with a wooden potato masher. This can be a little noisy, and one embarrassing time my downstairs neighbor - a sweet, older man - actually climbed upstairs and knocked on the door to check if everything was ok! This method also doesn't result in perfect-shaped, beautiful chocolate chips - but it's the taste that matters, right? ;)


This is by far the best recipe I have found for vegan chocolate chip cookies. It doesn't use any egg replacer, flax seeds, soy flour, or anything else, yet the cookies stay together beautifully. Most of the time I use spelt flour and 70 % dark chocolate. Pure maple syrup is outrageously expensive in Denmark, and unless I find it on real discount like this week, I often replace half of it with agave nectar.

It's hard to decide if I like the cookies or the dough more - but I tend to incline towards the dough. Even if you're not vegan, these cookies are worth making just because the dough doesn't have any raw eggs in it and is therefore safe to eat. 



The dough is super fast to make and the cookies bake in 11 minutes - so in about 20 minutes, you can have a batch of fresh chocolate chip cookies!


I have a ridiculously small oven, and to avoid dividing this small amount of dough into two batches, I tend to place the cookies a little too close to each other. This results in that I have to cut them apart and they're not that pretty to look at, but when I only bake these to family or friends, I don't care too much. They taste just as delicious! However, if you want beautiful, evenly-shaped cookies, leave enough space between them, as these spread out quite a bit.



I love the gooey chocolate in the warm cookies. The chopped chocolate naturally melts more unevenly than real chocolate chips, but I kind of like it that way.



I served these with a small glass of oat milk. I don't really like drinking any kind of milk, but this has added calcium so I try to consume a glass daily - usually with cereal or oatmeal, though.


The animal glass in the background was bought with a giftcard from Villeroy & Boch last Christmas, and it makes me smile every time I look at it. I realize it's a bit funny since I don't have children or anything, but I guess I'm just weird like that. ;) The glass is very small, and will just fit one squeezed orange, so it's the perfect breakfast glass.

Do you have a favorite cookie recipe?
 
posted by Seglare at Tuesday, August 31, 2010 | Permalink |


5 Comments:


Post a Comment

~ back home