Monday, August 30, 2010
Marinated Mushrooms
I tasted amazing marinated mushrooms at the 'veggie festival' this weekend. They tasted so good that I immediately knew I wanted to recreate the dish at home. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the exact recipe with me, and had to improvise to get a similar flavor.


I prefer brown mushrooms, as I think they have more flavor; but feel free to use any kind you like.


I learned this trick from my Mom some time ago. When you crush the garlic glove with the blade of a knife, the skin comes off like a coat. This may be old knowledge to most of you, but it has made such a difference to me. I still hate peeling garlic with a passion, but this has made it tolerable. Does anyone know a similar trick for peeling onion?!






Marinated Mushrooms

Ingredients
  • 0,5 lbs brown button mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tbsp mushroom soy sauce (or regular light soy sauce)
  • 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 tbsp resh parsley, chopped
  • pinch of white pepper
Place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, and mix well. Clean the mushrooms and trim off and discard the ends of the stems. Add the mushrooms in the mixing bowl, and cover with the marinade. Let them marinate for about 30 minutes (or longer, if you have the time).

Pour the mushroom mixture into a frying pan, and stir fry for a few minutes, until most liquid is absorbed. Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve immediately.

The mushrooms turned out really well and were just as tasty as the ones at the festival. I believe the original recipe used dill in place of parsley and salt instead of soy sauce, and might have had some ingredients that I can't remember.


To accompany the mushrooms, I made a quick wok with a green bell pepper, a small leek, two average sized carrots, and a couple of tomatoes.


I stir friend them for a few minutes, and then added a can of mixed beans (red kidney beans, chickpeas, lima beans). In the end, I mixed in some shopped fresh basil and parsley. Unfortunately, I hardly ever measure the spices, but I used garlic salt with herbs, some mushroom soy sauce, a little sweet chili sauce, and a tiny squirt of ketchup.


This flavorful dish was ready in no time!


On the side, I enjoyed this beautiful corn on the cob from yesterday's veggie bag.


...and for dessert, I had some delicious organic 70% dark chocolate. ;)